Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wedding reception in Aruvangadu, 10 February 2009

The invitations for the wedding/reception we went to on Sunday came in person by the families of the bride and groom. Our first invitation was verbally from our milkman weeks before the wedding. The first printed invitation was delivered by the grooms family from the other side of the creek. The second printed invitation came from the mother of the bride who came to our home. Included in that invitation was an invitation to have dinner at their home the evening before the wedding and a lunch the Wednesday after the wedding. The invitation seemed to be aimed at me in particular. I didn't go to the dinner the night before the wedding. So, on Wednesday, the day of the lunch, the mother of the bride came to my home asking if I was planning to come, which I was not because I had guests. She invited my guests and had arranged a ride. What could I say? So, we postponed our plans to go into Coonoor that morning, and we all went to the reception. It was my neighbors impression that this reception was the one serving meat. All four of us are vegetarian, so we weren't sure what to expect.
The bus provided to take us to the reception

Krishna taking one of his one-minute power naps
The tent on the roof of someone's home in Aruvangadu (the next town up the road from Boys Company)

The bride and groom greeting guests

Before food was served on banana leaves
The food was great, even for vegetarians.
Now for pictures of the little girls all dressed up for the party

Lindsey, a little girl who runs up to me on the street to say "hello"



No comments: