Monday, October 27, 2008

Returning to Coonoor

This post is coming to you from Coonoor! Gopal and I arrived here Thursday, October 23rd. There will be pictures of many things when we get internet installed in our new Coonoor apartment. We move in November 1st! We found a very small, very inexpensive, very basic apartment on the road from Coonoor to Ooty (not very far outside Coonoor). While we wait, plumbers are installing a western toilet and a hot-water heater. Unfortunately, there is not enough water pressure to put in a shower, which I really wanted. AND, there's not even enough pressure to support a hot-water heater in the bathroom!! Our little hot-water heater is going in the kitchen. Sigh. We will definitely be living like our neighbors, which is something we don't mind at all. Our neighbors in our colony are Badaga tribal people and very friendly. I'll post before and after pictures when I can.

The drive up the hill to Coonoor this time was not only the same gorgeous, forested slopes, but this time peppered with waterfalls everywhere we looked. So incredibly beautiful. The downside is that their monsoon has decided to come now, rather than in June/July like it normally would. It had rained for a full month before we arrived, and it is expected to keep raining until mid-December. Ugh. So, the cool weather I longed for is actually pretty cold and very damp. Laundry takes days to dry, ya know? We are having trouble adjusting to cold and damp, particularly Gopal. We bought a heater for the new apartment today. That should help. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

We arrived Thursday, Friday morning was sunny, Saturday and Sunday it rained all day, and today it was sunny and clear all day long. Heaven!

1 comment:

Nini said...

Hi Carolyn,
This is Nini, Ramon's aunt. It's one of those lazy afternoons at work and I just happened to look at Dexter's blog and then clicked on your link. The place where you're at looks gorgeous. I can relate to the water problems you're having. We have the same situation in Manila. It's a good thing that some of our relatives have water pumps that can help with water delivery.
We plan to spend Thanksgiving in Oakland. I hope Suzie and Ramon can set up the webcam so we can talk to you while we're there. I'll miss you on Thanksgiving Day, but I'll think of you.
I am good at dropping e-mails, so send me a note and I'll respond. If you wish I'll keep you posted on the election results. I'm very involved in the process.
Got to get back to work. E-mail me. I'd like to hear from you.
Nini